1 - Gerald Gradwohl Group (GGG)
Current line up:
- Gerald Gradwohl g
- Jojo Lackner bs
- Thomas Kugi sax
- Harald Tanschek dr
International line up:
- Gerald Gradwohl g
- Adam Nitti bs
- Thomas Kugi sax
- Kirk Covington dr
When looking for terms and names to describe the band, the attempt will leave you with a wide spectrum between jazz and fusion music focussing on groovy funk with a strong „Rock’N Roll Attitude“ mixed with Jazz harmony to fierce discharging jazz rock storms.
There is no arbitrariness in this wide array of musical styles and influences, as the band – selected team players from the international jazz/fusion scene – renders the stringent compositions in a committed and playfully individual manner, putting its high-quality inventive signature to the music and derives its uniqueness and independence from a sure, pro-active and listening interaction of experienced musician personalities.
Gradwohl can jump into and out off the stylistic changes like a true chameleon. He has ventured further into exploratory fusion on this effort than on any of his previous efforts. Having the support and backing of the great rhythm section has really made this venture for Gradwohl into tribal funk fusion a viable effort of world class caliber. GG pulls all the stops of his musical skills. “As much composition as necessary and as much improvisation as possible” seems to be the dogma and the point of view of fusion-music of today for this worldwide known and acknowledged composer and performer, living in Wr. Neustadt, Austria.
Out of the tiniest motives, Gradwohl manages to develop breathtaking solos based on steaming grooves or balladesque sound collages. Some kind of somnambulistic playing with the guys in the band let creative things happen. The great variety in composition and playing will not only fascinate Jazz and Fusion lovers – watch out for exciting live gigs!
The album „ABQ“ (2003) feat. Bob Berg, Gary Willis and Kirk Covington was a big step in Geralds international career. Several albums and live tours have been the result of his continuous work.
2007 „Tritone Barrier“ is released. On this album Scott Henderson contributes a guest solo on the track „Jeff’s Back“.
This album is followed by „Sally Beth Roe“ in 2009 which he recorded with his Trio – this is a real guitar trio record!
In 2013 Gerald releases „Big Land“ feat. Tribal Tech drummer Kirk Covington on drums.
RAW (2016) is a critically acclaimed masterpiece of Jazz and Rock music and is the first release with his current band.
The band is touring regularly and releases the new album „Episode 6“ in April 2021!
2 - Threeo
- Gerald Gradwohl g, synth
- Wolfgang Wograndl bs
- Richard Filz dr & perc
- THREEO-feat.Rick Margitza (1992) – IXCD 17/Ixthuluh
- THREEO-Racing Time (1995) – CDLR 45103/Bellaphon
- THREEO-Live!feat. Bob Berg (1998) – PEP 98011/Extraplatte
2015: 12 Years after!
This Austrian Jazz/Fusion Trio celebrated some major highlights in the the 90ies: Jazzfest Wiesen, Montreal, Leverkusen and several other gigs all over Europe were on the gig list of this extraordinary Band. Especially the Album “Threeo-Live!“ featuring the legendary Tenor player Bob Berg, made a big impact on the international Jazz scene.
Although they played their last live gig in 2003, the band never split officially.
The three musicicans meanwhile cooperated with countless bands and projects, formed their own groups and are still teaching at the same Music Conservatory.
So it was just a matter of time to reunite! „The unforgettable impressions of our concerts, tours and recordings made us think about a reunion concert.“
The band is still available on special demand!!
- As always, Threeo are playing virtuosly with lots of wittiness.
- Concerning style Threeo are somewhere in between mainstream and fusion, sometimes there is even a dash of rock, but there is always a finishing touch in rhythm, dynamics and colours of sound that are chosen precisely
- Dings 1997: There are JazzRock-Formations that even kick ass jazz-wet blankets. Threeo is surly one of them.
- Gitarre & Bass 11/96: An interesting Austrian trio: They dash through the well-proved jazz-rock-scenery – but they do it masterly and with style! It’s beautiful to see how diversified and surprising in a discreet way music like this still can be, when you let young talents do their stuff, instead of throwing „big names dices“ in the GRP way.
- Audio live 9/96: Once there are beats that rock your feet, once there are eccentric rhythms where you can lose the time quite easily – top of the heap music in Dolby Surround Sound!
- Jazz Pub News: With this terrific performance Threeo doubtlessly is one of the big hopes of the Austrian jazz scene.
- Concerto: Groovy rhythms, harmony in playing together, powerful arrangements and borderless fun in playing together – I’d wish there were more jazz like that!!!
- Concerto Poll 1998: Best Jazz Album: THREEO – Live!
- “Solo” 4/99: This live recording contains great playing!
- www.fusemag.com 12/99: The Austrian trio Threeo, lead by guitarist Gerald Gradwohl, is a vibrant fusion trio augmented by the presence of tenorman Bob Berg on this their latest cd. The group has a funky, high energy approach to fusion, as evidenced on their rhythm-changes tribute to Tribal Tech, „Technotronic“ which features fine solos from the entire band. For fans of modern fusion with an edge!